While you may be considering counseling at our agency, there are likely some questions that are still unanswered. Refer to the questions and answers below. If you still have more, feel free to contact us.

QUESTION: Are you strictly a drug and alcohol treatment provider?

ANSWER: No. Although we have primarily been known as a drug and alcohol provider, we also offer outpatient mental health counseling. This includes individual, couples, and family sessions. All of our staff have clinical experience in treating mental health issues and educational degrees in the human services field (i.e. psychology, social work).

QUESTION: Must an individual abstain from all mood-altering substances, including alcohol, while they are in treatment?

ANSWER: Yes. A mood-altering substance is a mood-altering substance whether it is a legal substance or an illegal substance. Individuals in treatment at The Lancaster Freedom Center must remain completely substance free of all mood-altering chemicals. Treatment cannot take place with an individual if their emotional state is altered. Although we recognize that relapse is a symptom of substance dependence, it is not a requirement for recovery.

QUESTION: What happens if an individual relapses while in treatment?

ANSWER: We view relapse as part of the recovery process. Working to identify specific triggers and implementing an effective prevention plan are part of the main focus in treatment. If an individual is unable to establish and maintain abstinence, a higher level of care may be needed.

QUESTION: Why must a parent/guardian participate in the treatment process?

ANSWER: Involving loved ones in the treatment process has proven to be the most successful in maintaining long-term recovery. The more support a person receives, the more victory over addiction and/or mental health issues is experienced. It is also beneficial for family members to gain a good understanding of their loved ones’ thought process and ways to work through recovery together.

QUESTION: Can you be on pain medication if you are in treatment?

ANSWER: Each person’s unique situation will be discussed upon meeting with a therapist. We support referrals to pain management clinics to address medical issues or working with your primary care physician to work toward abstinence from potentially addictive medications.

QUESTION: What is the procedure for making an appointment?

ANSWER: We welcome phone calls or in-person visits during regular business hours.

QUESTION: How long does treatment typically last?

ANSWER: This varies from person to person. Depending on the issue of concern, treatment can range from 1 evaluation to several months.

QUESTION: If I have a probation officer, what information will you disclose to the probation office?

ANSWER: No information can be released to outside sources unless a release form is signed and discussed during the evaluation or therapy session. HIPAA (confidentiality) laws restrict the type and amount of information released about a person. Probation officers are typically interested in compliance with treatment, attendance records, and a general description of progress. Again, this will be reviewed with you upon meeting with a therapist.

QUESTION: If I have a Child Services caseworker, what information will you disclose to the agency?

ANSWER: Please refer to the information above about probation officers. Child Services are typically interested in compliance with treatment, attendance records, and a general description of progress.

QUESTION: If I am adolescent, what information will you disclose to my parent(s)/guardian(s)?

ANSWER: Involving family members in your treatment has proven to be most helpful. All efforts will be made to maintain a level of trust and confidentiality between the individual and their therapist. It is important to be honest during recovery and information that would be beneficial for parents to know may include attendance, level of participation in sessions, and abstinence. Information to be shared will first be discussed with the individual prior to disclosure to the parent(s) or guardian(s).

QUESTION: Do you treat individuals who are prescribed Suboxone or methadone?

ANSWER: Absolutely. We fully support individuals taking these medications as prescribed during treatment. These specific medications are often the first steps in coping with cravings and withdrawal symptoms at the outpatient level of care. Working closely with the primary care physician or clinic prescribing the medication will be part of the treatment process. We also support use of non-addictive psychotropic medications for mental health concerns.

Find Us

The Lancaster Freedom Center 313 West Liberty Street, Suite 124, Lancaster PA 17603 tel: 717.397.9118; fax: 717.397.3514 email: info@lancasterfreedomcenter.com  

The Promises

When you make the decision to enter treatment, expect to experience change. LFC works with your unique situation to help restore life, find peace and contentment, and face life with courage...